Scion complies with the principle of ‘data minimisation’ by avoiding collecting or processing your personal data other than to achieve the purposes set out in this Data Privacy Notice.
We collect and process your personal data where necessary to enable us to:
- arrange, underwrite or administer insurance contracts or claims under insurance contracts
- satisfy our obligations under an insurance contract
- comply with a legal obligation, including carrying out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection
- pursue our legitimate interests in providing insurance services to our customers
- investigate and defend legal claims
- present our Website and its contents to you
- provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us
- fulfill any other purpose for which you provide the information
- notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, browser type, domain names, access times, referring website addresses, and information collected through cookies (see our Cookies policy ).
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen. If you are under the age of thirteen, you must ask your parent or guardian for permission to use this Website.
We may store your data on servers provided by third-party hosting vendors with whom we have contracted.
The personal data we process may include details such as your name, address, marital status, date and place of birth, nationality and any other information that we collect about you in connection with the insurance from which you benefit including information about previous and current claims. If you apply for a position with us, the personal data may include your name, phone number, email and other information you provide to us in the process. It may include more sensitive details such as information about your health and any criminal convictions you may have and which we may need your consent to process. Where we need your consent, we will ask you for it separately. You do not have to give your consent and you may withdraw your consent at any time. However, if you do not give your consent, or you withdraw your consent, this may affect our ability to continue to provide the insurance cover from which you benefit and to handle your claims.
We may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide as described in this policy:
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Scion’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding (collectively, a "Merger"), in which personal information held by Scion about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes
- if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Scion, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
This is a link to the Core Use Information Notice: We may transfer or share your data outside the European Economic Area. We will always take steps to ensure your data is treated and transferred securely with appropriate safeguards and controls in place.
We will not keep personal data for longer than necessary for the purpose for which it is processed. However, laws and regulations may require us to keep records for specific periods of time and we may also need to keep records in order to administer the insurance relationship, to fulfil our contractual or statutory obligations or to resolve queries or disputes which may arise.
Under Data Protection regulation you have the right to:
- obtain a copy of your personal data held by Scion
- have any incorrect personal data updated
- request the erasure of any of your personal data
- restrict the use of your personal data
- object to the use of your personal data
- request the personal data you provided to Scion be moved to another organisation
If you wish to exercise any of these rights please write to the below address stating your request and contact details. However, there may be reasons why we are not able to comply with your request (particularly relating to the restriction of or objection to use of personal data) where we are required to keep and use that data to comply with legal or regulatory requirements and/or it is necessary for us to administer your insurance contract. In order for us to respond to your requests effectively and efficiently, please provide any further information you feel is necessary.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please write us at: Scion Underwriting Services, 3333 Lee Parkway, Suite 629, Dallas, TX 75219
Effective as of June 26, 2019